Prospective applicants may choose to shadow under the supervision of a Baptist Health employee or medical staff member, including physicians. Observers may shadow on rounds, watch procedures and attend teaching conferences.
The Observer program is open to anyone over the age of 16 who meets the criteria outlined in the application packet and is intended to provide participants with a behind-the-scenes glimpse of careers in healthcare. The duration of the observership is at the discretion of the clinician and can last up to four weeks. An observership is a voluntary experience that does not constitute employment, compensation, medical education or any training leading to academic credit, licensure or board certification. Baptist Health will not issue grades or written evaluations for this program.
If you are a licensed Physician, please visit our Visiting Physician Program.
Please note, if you are a current Baptist Health employee, you cannot participate in the Observer program in the same entity in which you work.
How to Apply
- Download and review the program application below.
- Collect the required documents.
- Contact a prospective sponsoring clinician.
- Return all required documents a minimum of two weeks prior to the intended start date.
- Once your application has been approved, please call 786-467-2633 to pay the program's administrative fee.
A non-refundable administrative fee must be paid to Baptist Health upon acceptance of your application.
- High School Students: Waived with proof of enrollment
- Undergraduate or Graduate Students and Residents: $100
- Working Professionals not enrolled in school: $250
- Participants must be aged 16 or older as of the start of the program
- Complete program application
- Baptist Health Supplemental Health Form (vaccinations, Flu and Tb verifications)
- Health insurance
- Government-issued photo ID
- Proof of enrollment (students)
- Background check from school or Clearance Letter from police department
- South Miami Hospital Compliance Training (if applicable)
- International Eligibility form (Non-US Citizens/Non-US Residents)
- Letter of support and good standing from current academic institution or employer (Non-US Citizens/Non-US Residents)
- Where do applicants go to apply? Download application below
When are applications accepted?
- When are candidates matched/notified of acceptance? Within 2 weeks of receiving a completed application
When does the program start?